North-Central Washington

 Beekeepers Association

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 
  • 19 Nov 2018 1:43 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Board members present,  Wayne Ranne, Kristen Taylor, Daryn Klingensmith, Teri McGarr.

    Members present 18.

    Wayne opened the meeting and introduced our guest speaker,

    Mr Tim Hiatt, who is the legislative chair and a member of WASBA. along with his brothers, Tim has 18,000 colonies. he came to talk to us a little about the legislative side of working with bees. he told us there had been a shake up at WASBA and there is an updated curriculum for Journeyman and Master beekeepers, as well as a "Beginning Beekeeping" class,  which leads to the apprentice class and  is a 12 lesson program.These classes would be (Beginning) $20. (Apprentice) $20. (Journeyman) $30, and (Master) $50.Daryn asked when our dues were due  for WASBA as a club, Tim said he needed to speak to the exec. secretary, and  theyd get it up to date.  Tim showed us a brief video,  and told us about a research facility that is in the works,  in Pullman.if anyone would like to receive his newsletters, please drop him an email at : legislativechair@wasba.org

    next Wayne introduced Al, who told us about a seminar he went to in Spokane on Saturday, he told us it was quite interesting , there were A lot of very good speakers and they plan to do it every year,  he said it was well worth the $50. he has offered to look into the Beginners beekeeping program from WASBA  and says he feels we need to transmit  social responsibility to hobbyists, he also asked if there was anyone interested in the journeyman class, and a few raised said they were,  the new curriculum is almost ready, he will speak to Steve Foley about it. He then showed us a TO DO LIST, which is going to be part of our new website. also said he'd found 'NOTE' on his computer was a pretty good way to keep track of hives.

    Daryn gave the treasurers report, we have $5372. in our accounts, 0 new members  this last month , but around 10 in total in the last 6 months , He says he was approached by Pybus university, to do a beekeeping seminar, possibly in Jan. 

    Jeff and Steve will be doing the mead class again this year, more will be posted about that .  tentatively set for Jan 12. 

    Wayne asked Lee McGarr to take the floor and tell the club about products and services that Wenatchee Valley Bee & Supply has to offer, woodenware, mite treatments, advice  and mentoring are among them.

    Lee has a list for a bulk order if anyone wants to order,  it will not be an order like we are used to, in as much as orders will be individually sorted and then the person will be called when it is ready. he also stresses anything in the catalog can be ordered, it just may take a few days.

    anyone interested can contact him through the group.

    Afterwards we sampled some lovely honeys, Al even brought one that came from Isreal.  Well Done to all!! and Thanks to Wayne & Janice for supplying breadsticks and crackers. 

     Bee Chat  on Dec 13 TBA .

     **Note  NO DEC business Education meeting.

    Bee Chat January 8 2019 TBA

    Our next Business Education meeting is Jan 20th 2019.

    Also  I have renewed our use of The Douglas co.  Firehall for the next year.

  • 22 Oct 2018 10:56 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    In Attendance 25

    Board members present :Wayne Ranne,  Kristen Taylor, Daryn Klinginsmith,Teri McGarr

    Wayne opened the meeting  by introducing the panel for the Education part of the  meeting.

    The panel consisted of: Craig Genereux, Craig Dunning, Thiago Morales, Lee Madden, And Al Zalleweski.                                                                                      The subject was a project they are working on , "2019 Queen Rearing Project"                                                                                                                         Craig D started out by telling us what they were planning to do and how they hoped it would mean local queens would be available for the club and local beekeepers, They covered their own reasons for  getting into the project and advantages and disadvantages, of different methods of raising Queens, a very interesting talk indeed!!

    Wayne asked Glen to take the floor and let everyone know how the IT group is getting on, 

    The new Facebook page is up and running, and will have several people manning it eventually. those people have not been named as yet, The address is North Central Washington Beekeepers Association.                     We are working on The new website, The plan is to transition over to the new website when the subscription runs out on the current one.

    Daryn gave the treasurers report,  he said we had $50. last month and again this month from the rental of the extractor.,we have a new member this month  who signed up online,                                                                       Checking account holding $4200. and other account $1130.                           We now have a P.O.Box .for club business, should you need to get in touch via mail The address is : 

     North Central Washington Beekeepers Assoc. ,                                                            P.O.Box 5052.                                                                                                      Wenatchee WA. 98807.                                                                                    (PLEASE NOTE 98807, not 98801,)

    Daryn gave Wayne 2 keys for the box. Wayne will have one & The Secretary has one, A rota will be organized for pick ups.

    We have a guest speaker coming next month,  Tim Hiatt , who will be here to speak to us about the Washington state Beekeepers Assoc.  he will be available for questions afterwards.

    Wayne introduced Mike McGregor to the group, and Mike told us about how he got started with bees & built up his operation  to being a commercial Beekeeper, selling at Roslyn and Wenatchees farmers markets, and also doing pollination for the Almonds in California, He is currently setting  up to produce Mead.  ( Wayne also mentioned  if anyone is interested in doing a mead class this year please get in touch.)  he answered questions and we drew the meeting to a close,

    The Next Bee Chat will be on 11/08 at El Agave , 800 N Wenatchee Ave. 

    Next business & Education meeting 11/18 5pm  at Douglas Co. Fire Dept.

    December Chat; TBA

    Business & Education meeting; CANCELLED

    I Apologize and  will get last months minutes up ASAP. I am sorry for the delay.  Teri.

  • 17 Sep 2018 11:29 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Present .Wayne Ranne , Kristen Taylor, Daryn Klinginsmith, Teri McGarr.

    Wayne opened the meeting .

    he explained hed like to start doing the Education section of the meeting up front,  then get down to business. 

    Kristen took the floor  to tell us about the trip she took to Boise  to the apiculture soc. 

    there were around 150 people attending the seminar and next year it will be held in Oregon.

    Randy Oliver had spoken at the conference about an article  hed written, 

    Wayne says he has a recipe using apple cider vinegar  for bee health, that he will share.

    Glenn Copeland took to the floor to discuss the website and new ideas.

    Wayne discussed  the possibility of using a separate email address for members wanting to sell things. 

    Daryn gave the treasurers report, and mentioned we  get 2-3 new members  a month. 

    Wayne passed a paper around asking  people to volunteer for an IT group.

    Walt Kursave took the floor to discuss  the slots still needing filled for the fair. 

    Wayne has volunteered his observation hive for the fair. 

    The club needs to buy a microphone for our presentations,  Al moved we should go ahead and buy it, and the motion was passed.

    we also discussed the possibility of buying our own camera as a club, Glenn said hed look into this. 

    Upcoming dates,

    Sept 6-9  The Chelan Co. Fair

    Sept. 23 Biz/Ed monthly meeting

    Oct 11 El Porto for  Bee Chat

    Oct.21 Biz /Ed monthly meeting.

    I'd like to take a moment to give you all My Sincere apologies for the tardiness of these minutes. and to  thank you for being patient. Teri.






  • 23 Jul 2018 1:00 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Board members present. Krisin Taylor ( Vice  President) , Daryn Klinginsmith, (Treasurer), Teri McGarr, (Secretary)

    Members in attendance 19.

    Kristin opened the meeting giving dates for events which were as follows: 

    August 4 - Annual Potluck/BBQ @ Walla Walla Point Park, stand #2, 5-9pm.

    Aug 19-next Business & Education meeting.

    Sept 6-9 Chelan Co. Fair

    Sept 16 Business & Education meeting

     Oct 4 Bee chat 

    Oct 21 Business & Education

    for more information on any dates or events please contact the following people,

     The Fair- Walter Kursave

    Pot luck/BBQ Lee McGarr & Patti Egglestone

    Mentoring - Daryn Klinginsmith.

    Farmers Market- Kristin Taylor,

    Daryn took the floor and read the treasurers report, as of last month we had 5 new members, he encouraged members to attend bee chats.

     In our 3 accounts (checking , saving and paypal) we have $4751.78, $1132.06 and $19.12. he discussed starting a mentorship program, as hes had several people contact him looking for help. we discussed the best way to start one. 

    Lee talked about the potluck which is coming up quickly. he said Patti will be bringing a Traeger grill and we may buy a grill aswell.

    Kristin asked if anyone was interested in doing the farmers market in Levenworth, there seems to be some differing  versions of conversations with different people who are in charge of the farmers market, seemingly you can sell your honey there , apparently there are discrepancies as to  wether it costs to do so.

    Walt discussed the fair & how many slots he has left,  He still could use some help both with time slots and with setting up and taking down our display.

    Al spoke briefly to answer a few questions about honey and about mites and the best times to treat.

    Craig Genereux how he treats for mites in August using Oxalic acid.

    Peter Hill took the floor and told us about his and  Steve Olsens trip to WSU to do the queen rearing class , Chris had a prior engagement and sent his apologies.  peter covered quite a bit of material on the class, including artificial insemination of the queen, grafting, and he brought a sample of empty cells he had produced, he showed us a special frame for queen rearing and a special bpoard called a Cloake board.

    we also discussed banking queens and the possibility of a group within the club producing queens for the club.

    Al says he will have some year old queens  available possibly this week if anyone needs one please contact him through Googlegroup.




  • 25 Jun 2018 2:14 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Members present: 30.

    Board members present . Daryn Klinginsmith. (Treasurer) Teri McGarr(secretary) 

    Al Zaleweski gave a very informative program on the control of varroa mites."Control varroa or buy bees" this will be posted as a link and will be able to be seen on you tube soon.

    Vern videoed the whole Education part of the meeting , well Done to Vern.

    afterwards Daryn took the front and gave the treasurers report; $4,600 in checking account, $1132 in the Education fund, and $67. in new memberships this month. we have had 3 new members this month.

    We discussed having a Temporary president & Vice President, and asked if there were any volunteers for vice president, Kristin Taylor raised her hand, she was the only hand raised and was voted in, we then asked for president , Wayne Ranne raised his hand , and was voted in.

    we have a guest coming next month from the state legislature.Wayne asked if we use club funds to pay people to come and speak.Pete Hill mentioned that the people he'd spoken to as WSU at the queen rearing class had said that they didn't have a budget for  travel and overnight  accommodation etc.  maybe we would be willing to pay travel expenses for someone to come talk to us.

    Al and Stan Peak, both felt it would be a good idea to invite the public to sit in  on a meeting, maybe do it in a public place, and Daryn suggested the new Pybus conference room.

    Alice had queried the idea of letting the public sit in on meetings, as she felt it wouldn't be right that members are paying dues and the public wouldn't be. 

    we had a discussion about the possibility of starting a Queen bank within the club, 

    Steve and Pete will tell us about their trip to the Queen rearing class, next month, it sounds like they learned a lot and had a good time too.

    Walt Kursave is heading the Chelan co. Fair this year and he asked if anyone had received his Emails as he'd had little to no response. Please, if you have a few hours to spare, contact Walt and sign up for the fair, its fun, &  its easy ,Walt will get passes for whoever signs up to help out. this will be our ( Lee and I) 3rd year , we enjoy it every time.get out  there and tell folks about the Bees!!!

    Wayne suggested we make a plan out for next year for the fair. and decide if we want to do it or not.

    all in all it was a good meeting, some great ideas came forward, and it was great to see so many there.  

    lets go forward as a club and make these great ideas happen!!!

    our next bee chat is TBA. 

    next monthly meeting is 22 July at Douglas Fire Dept. 5pm

    our Annual pot luck is Aug 4th 5pm -9pm at Walla Walla  park , shelter #2

    Lee McGarr would like to hear if you are coming  so he can get food and drink organized.

    any amendments please let me know. 

  • 21 May 2018 10:20 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    May 20th 2018

    Daryn K. Teri Mc. present board members. 

    Jeff absent, sent apologies.

    16 members present.

    Daryn opened the meeting with the treasurers report,  $225. has been added to the club account due to new memberships.

    The need for the website was discussed, do we really need it can we not just use google group and facebook? 

    Daryn pointed out that a lot of people use the website to pay their dues.

    Alice moved that we ask Jeff to resign, Daryn said that it would have to be voted on,  we also needed to vote on the By law changes, 

    12 out of 16 voted to defeat the by laws, and 13 out of 16 voted a vote of "no confidence" in Jeff. and it was proposed that we ask for his resignation .

    Daryn then read the By law concerning termination.

    Alice asked  that the minutes be posted on google group as well as the website, as that way  people who do not use the website , could get the minutes. I agreed that I could do the minutes on both  the website and in googlegroup.

    it was proposed that we need to vote on leadership at the next meeting, as we need to move forward, the  common concensus was that  there is too much politics and drama  going on and we need  to get back to beekeeping.

    EDUCATION:

    Al introduced  a panel  consisting of 

    Craig Dunning, Steve Olsen, Craig Genereux and Chris Church.

    the topic was "swarms", which was quite interesting.

    we had a new member introduce himself to the group, Lee Maiden. 

    Walter said he had been in touch with Karen at Chelan co fair, and that she was going to get back to him with the booklet for the fair, & that Steve Foley has agreed to do the Honey extraction demo this year.

    Peter Hill & Steve Olsen have said that they will do a talk after the Queen rearing class next month.

    Al is asking for input for next months education, if anyone has any ideas please contact Al.

    DATES TO REMEMBER: 

    *Bee chat, June 7th 6pm @ Casa Tapatia, 1650 Grant Rd. E. Wenatchee, Hilda, 886-1910

    * July bee chat TBA

    *Aug 4th, 5pm -9pm Annual potluck & BBQ ,Walla Walla park stand #2. for information contact Lee McGarr.

    *Bee Chat, Aug 29th, 6PM . Milepost 111, Cashmere, 888-0222 

    *September Bee chat TBA

    *Sept 6-9 Chelan co. fair, Please contact Walter Kursave for sign ups to man the booth.

    *Bee chat, Oct 11, 6PM  El Porton, 340 Valley Mall Parkway.    886-5830

    lastly I apologize if I  have missed anything out as the meeting was rather irregular, Daryn had to leave after the vote and it left me as the only board member present. 


  • 2 May 2018 11:32 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Jeff Hampton, (President),  Daryn Klinginsmith, (treasurer)  Teri McGarr. (secretary) 

    April 29. 2018

    Jeff opened the meeting  by going over old business, 

    1.the post office box, 

    we have been given different rates for extra keys  and still do not have a box.

    2. the by laws ,  proposed back in march, are now in the 60 day review period. please go over them and  give your feedback,  

    Jeff has asked that anyone willing to help with the website please contact him, 

    Lee McGarr said he would be apprentice webmaster, and will get together with Jeff to sort out the details.

    Kristen Taylor asked about storing the club equipment, and would someone be willing to get it and store it. 

     Vern & Julie Smith  said they would store it.

    Al did a very educational presentation on Nucs & Splits. very professional indeed!

    Al also asked if anyone was raising queens can they please let him know as there are a few people wanting them.

    Craig Genereoux said he would possibly have nucs and Queens soon. 

    there was a 15 minute interval whilst equipment was transferred from  members vehicles to other members vehicles.

    Wayne Ranne took the front  to discuss his Team Based Organization  concept. which seems a good idea and went over quite well.

    He also made the members who were there,  aware that the Crillys had quit the club. and we needed to get The club equipment  from Kriss.' house.

    The teams are to be led by captains, and are not to replace the board. which was voted in in January. 

     Alice Crawford  & Walt  are going to head up the Chelan county fair outreach team.

    Al will continue to Head up Education. 

    Daryn asked again for help for Jeff, Lee had already spoken to Jeff, but spoke up to say he would be willing to help.

    May bee chat is to be held at Kristalls in Levenworth at 6pm on  May 10th.

     The Chelan co. fair is  Sept 6-9th  we need more people to sign up for a few hours.  we have enough members this shouldn't be a problem.

    If I have  I missed anything I apologize.  Teri.

  • 18 Mar 2018 5:00 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Jeff asked that the minutes be read from the last meeting which I did.

    Jeff then had everyone introduce themselves as there were a few new faces. there were 28 members in attendance.

    motion was made to read minutes.

    Daryn then read the treasurers report, having gone over the books and put it all onto "Quicken"  he says there is $1131.  in the Education fund and $3203 in the checking account.

    Daryn also said that  from now on he will be using a receipt book for all cash or money transactions made by members.

    There are 5 apprentice course books that have been paid for but not picked up.

    a motion was approved to read the treasurers report.

    The minutes from the Executive meeting that was  held last Thursday, were read by myself , (Teri McGarr)

    corrections were made by Kriss  Crilly, as I had a date wrong .a motion was made to officially change the board members. 

    Daryn is now Treasurer & Kriss is now Vice President.

     Jeff asked that volunteers fill some of the duties that Kriss has had ,as there were too many and it was getting a bit much for 1 person to do, now that there are so many members.

    Chris Church will be in charge of swarms and swarm management

    Kriss is going to continue to do the FB page & Craigslist.

    she also says she doesn't mind taking deliveries of bees etc, but Steve Foley suggested asking about doing it elsewhere if  she wanted.

    Peter Hill discussed plans for a field trip to  Yakima to check out Controlled Atmosphere Storage facility for bees, with Eric Olsen.

     and to meet with some people who have been studying wintering their hives and controlling the climate for better wintering.

    he mentioned a central WA. bee group that it may be a good thing if we got affiliated with them.

    The following people  now have  Duties.

    Wayne Ranne has names and slots available and is in charge of the Chelan Earth day. Stan Peak is in charge of equipment hauling, co-chairing will be Kristen Taylor and Jeff O'Brien.

    Lee McGarr will be in charge of the annual potluck BBQ, which is to be at Walla Walla park shelter #2 July 12 at 5pm, He will be sending out an E-mail giving details.


    Steve Foley talked about the apprentice course said hed be working on getting the Journeymans  course going .he also said we have around 35 new apprentices.

    Kriss said Al Z would be looking into  speakers for the pollinators symposium this year.

    Daryn asked to put it to a vote of the members about his & Kriss swapping roles.  it was voted on and approved.  

    No Old business.

    New business:

    it was suggested that we have a Po box for all  club mailings ,

    Kriss felt that the bank statements should be sent to Daryn as treasurer, Daryn felt that someone else on the board should get a duplicate of the statement.  he also supported the idea of a Po Box.

    Chris Church said he felt that this should go into  the by laws.

    there was a motion it was seconded, by several members,  Chris suggested each officer should have a key, it was voted on and  all agreed.

    It was discussed about a central storage space for all the clubs equipment,  

    Kriss discussed what club equipment she had at her house. 

    Jeff asked that everyone who has equipment let him know what they have, so he can make a list .

    by Laws needing amended were discussed, 

    a suggestion was made about forming a committee for studying and reviewing the bylaws, Alice Crawford  said it was her view that EVERYONE should be making themselves familiar with them.

    Kriss asked Karen at the Chelan county fair, about giving out honey sticks,  and was told not to hand them out on Kids day, she will check out the ruling. although members  have agreed they do not want to buy them and give them away, or sell them.

    no other business, 

     Education hour  saw Stan and Chris show us  the installation of a Nuc or  package of bees for newbees.


    Grants for the Queen rearing and bee breeding workshop  at WSU. have been awarded to:

    Peter Hill, Kristen Taylor (full) Steve Olsen (partial) total grant money awarded $650.


    I apologize if anything was missed off . all corrections gladly received. 

    Teri McGarr.



  • 25 Feb 2018 5:00 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
    Daryn opened the meeting by getting everyone to introduce themselves, aswell asl regular members there were also a few new members.

    Daryn also handed out some NCWBA business cards, to give to anyone interested.
    The books for the apprentice class have arrived and Kriss handed them out to people who bought last year and those attending this years class.
    which will be held at the Henry Bldg. in Cashmere, on March 10, 17, and 24.

    Bee chat will be held at the Paradise rest, on Wenatchee Ave, on March 8th at 6pm.
    next Biz/Ed meeting is March 18 
    Bee  order deadline is March 16, 

    WSU is holding their Queen rearing course again this year, June 15 & 16th, at Pullman campus. 
    price is $275 pp. grants are available through the club.
    its asked you provide a community service if you are using a grant, this could be volunteering for  Earth Day or the Fair.

    Kriss informed us that we are now a non profit organization through the state. of Wa.

     Chris and Stan did the educational  side of the meeting, discussing when to open your hives, treating for nosema or not, and wether the bees have enough food to see them through the winter.
    Stan showed us a "Swarm Bandit"  he has built to try out this year, to stop swarming.
    He'll let us know how that goes .


  • 21 Jan 2018 6:00 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    NCW Beekeepers Meeting

    January 21,2018


    Calendar

    February 8 Bee chat, Louie’s Café, Leavenworth

    February 25 Business/Education meeting, 5 p.m., firehouse

    March 8 Bee chat, Paradise Restaurant, Wenatchee Ave across from PUD

    March 10, 17, 24 Apprentice class, 9 a.m. – 1 ish, cost for members $35

    A.s.a.p. Bee orders


    Education

    Stan and Chris demonstrated and discussed a top-bar hive. These can be easily made from plans found online (Les Crowder recommended) using foam board and gorilla glue. Sticks on top can be grooved and fitted with a small fin to encourage orderly comb build. Bees are started at the end near the entrance, and a following board placed behind them, moving it down the hive as they build out. Brood combs are generally built straight; honey combs less so but can be straightened by hand. The hive needs to be checked often to prevent combs being built into each other. Queens generally do not lay out into the honey combs. This style of hive is convenient to work but needs more hands-on time, produces slightly less honey, and cannot be expanded (as by adding a super on a Langstroth). Harvest is by cutting comb off the top bar, then either preparing cut comb or crushing the comb in a bag and draining honey out. Feeding can be done with a mason jar feeder or a small bucket with pine needles floated on the syrup to provide bees a stand.

    Bee stings are inevitable if you keep bees. Usual stings can be treated with antihistamines and severity will usually decrease with accumulated stings. Difficulty breathing, wheezing, or swelling in the throat may indicate the severe kind of allergy, anaphylaxis, and should be treated immediately in the emergency room as this can be life-threatening.


    Old Business

    Bees will be ordered from Charles Schaefer (3# packages $135, 4# $155, queens $40, from northern California) and Ruben (medium or deep nucs, Italian or carniolan bees, $140, queens $35). Members indicated a general preference for the nucs: local bees with established queens. Bees from Coastal 3# for $150. March 1 is the absolute deadline for orders. Delivery mid-April.

    Treasurer Report Checking $2539.80 Savings $1131.11 Dues not yet all in

    Expected expenses soon: insurance $350, website $500, apprentice books $1100


    New Business

    Vania Winters from the Wenatchee River Institute (Barn Beach) is looking for speakers for several talks in Leavenworth: pollinator garden, hives, bees, and honey.

    Master Gardeners are soliciting our participation in their state meeting in September: 4 days, about 300 participants: booths, sponsorships, tables, etc.

    Elections Jeff Hampton, Daryn, Teri and Kriss were proposed; the slate was approved unanimously.


    Additions and corrections cheerfully accepted.

    Alice Crawford


<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 

NORTH CENTRAL WASHINGTON BEEKEEPERS ASSOCIATION Is a registered Washington State Non-Proift. UBI 603594512

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software